Sunday, August 9, 2009

Who loves plaid??? I LOVE PLAID!

I do, I do, I do-ooo!

So, newest project is a plaid shirt based loosely on this one. And I mean... loosely. As in, yes, it's plaid, and I cut the sleeves off to make cap sleeves. Other than that, mine is pleated (no elastic) and it has a big bow in the back, because, I like bows, ok?

This, is the shirt with just the sleeves cut off. I should have taken one before I cut them off, because they were gargantuan, and quite funny. Alas...


Excuse the ridiculous look on my face.

I decided I wanted it pleated rather than gathered, like the inspiration shirt, so, using the plaid (which makes for a lovely grid!) I pleated up the front, really just winging it. No measuring necessary!


Wooo pleats! I love pleats!

Basted them in place, then tried it on to see how I liked it.


Not too bad! Note the pulling though, where my waistline hits in between buttons. More on that later.

Now you can see the back treatment. I decided that since this was a very masculine shirt, the pleats were not enough to girl it up for me. I want a big. Fucking. Bow. So I dug through the stash and found this jolly red ribbon! It got attached to the sides (where I took it in a little to make the sleeve opening not reach down to the top of my pants...


I like that it looks like I'm dancing or something in this picture!But you can see that the ties take up the enormous amounts of slack in the back, making it fit quite nicely.

I also decided that big bows and plaid weren't country girl enough for me... so I embroidered! Rather than sewing down the pleats, I embroidered over them with what is known as a herringbone ladder stitch. Apparently you shouldn't use it for things that will be washed frequently, at least according to that website. Well, who cares! Anyhoo, looks a little something like this all done up:


I also added a bar closure to help that silly little gap in the front. I wanted a snap, but honestly couldn't find one?
This'll do anyway!

So by the time I stopped to go stake tomatoes, it looked like this:


Still have to embroider the other side, and figure out how long I want it. Right now it's almost long enough to be a dress (well it is long enough, just not long enough for me. ) And I'm thinking about embroidering one of these in the lower left side. I think that would look rather nice. I'd also like to think of a completely obnoxiously country name to make tags to put in all this crazy stuff I'm making. No ideas yet...

On a completely different note.

Today was absolutely the hottest day since I've moved here. It was 95 at 5pm (felt like 97 according to weather.com) and it was bright and crystal clear.

A great day for tea.

And cat naps.


And these little beauties were a ray of sunshine inside.


The neighbor said they're coming to cut the hay tomorrow, which is very confusing because I thought we were changing people, so I think I should actually wake up early (big bummer.) Maybe I'll just grab my embroidery and sit outside for a while in the morning! Drink my tea, eat some biscuits... enjooooooy... Then I need to finish the damn tomatoes. I feel like I will stake for the rest of my life. Never. Again. Next year, we stake from the beginning. And we only plant as many tomatoes as we have stakes. AND WE LEAVE A PATH DOWN THE MIDDLE SO I DON'T HAVE TO PLAY INDIANA JONES TO GET TO THE NEXT ROW!!!

On another note, Susan and I are thinking it's time to plant rhubarb. I'm thinking, pie 2011. Hell yeah.

0 comments:

Post a Comment