Sunday, August 2, 2009

Storm's a brewin!

I did actually mow the lawn today, although I went through 2 lawn mowers to accomplish it :-/ The first time I started, I cut reeeeallllyyyyy low.... too low, and then that mower kept getting all choked up. The second I actually made smoke twice but managed to finish cutting. I also found a dead woodpecker in the front yard, which makes me really sad. I had seen him in that tree just the other day, and I noticed when he flew away that he sort of limped across the ground rather than actually flying. :-( RIP pretty woodpecker. I unceremoniously threw him in the front pasture, but a few of his feathers remained in the yard. They're beautiful.


I have no idea what sort of woodpecker he was, I've never seen one like it before, although I do think it might have been a juvenile.

Also while mowing my little fingers to the bone, I noticed that one of our oak trees, called the Bat Tree, due to its being used as a roost for an ungodly number of such creatures, was apparently hit by lightening in one of our recent storms. Pieces of bark littered the yard, and you could even see the hole in the ground where the lightening had continued it's path. It bared almost an entire side of the tree, and left a neat furrow up the side.


Who ever thought mowing the lawn could be such and adventure!

I also saw that my nasturtium is actually blooming! Yay! It's a beautiful orange too!

Lovely!

For your pleasure, I'd also like to introduce you to my favorite little plant, known as the Sensitive Plant (or Emo Plant as I like to call it ;-)). I actually grew this from one of those silly little seed kits you get at Target in the $1 section, but it's gotten HUGE!


Such a neat texture! Under those soft, frilly-looking leaves, there are prickers too! The coolest thing about this plant is that it does this when you touch it:


Effing cool. Sometimes I run my hands over the whole plant, just to watch it wilt. I never have had the patience to watch it come back though... hmmm... well, gonna go off and take pictures of my dump dress!! Toodles!

0 comments:

Post a Comment