Hmm... Got up this morning at 8 to let the chickens out, and it was absolutely pouring down rain. So, knowing that chickens do not like being wet, I went back to sleep in fits of half-hours, until now, when the rain has slowed to a drizzle, and I can pull myself out of bed.
Chickens were excited to see me, and did come outside until I filled up their feeders. Apparently I left an egg outside last night that they had laid on the ground, and so I picked it up. There was also one in the nest. Strangely, as soon as I touched it, the top caved in, but did not break. These things do happen with eggs; we often get misshapen ones, and the ones with soft shells just passed through the chicken's system too fast to be fully shelled (that's actually the last thing that happens before it is laid.) So, I gently put it in my pocket, broken side up, to deposit in the compost bin on my way up. If you leave broken eggs around, the chickens figure out Hey, eggs are TASTY and you'll end up with egg-eating chickens. Unfortunately, the egg was actually that fragile all the way around, so when I reached in my pocket to look at it again, I had a pocket FULL of egg. Ewwwww.... Luckily it was just my raincoat, which is easily hosed off. But, damn, chickens. Way to make my morning.
It's still really wet outside, and I had planned to mow today now that our mower is fixed... but... maybe not in the rain. I'm seriously considering napping all day again... it's so lovely. Or at least past noon. Mornings really are terrible unless you have something to do. And even then, they're terrible, but at least there's something to make you get up. When there's nothing pressing for me to do, I'm certainly not getting up. Terrible habit, but a hard one to break when it's just me!!
So, nighty night!
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment