Saturday, October 24, 2009

Interesting...

So, mom was diagnosed with hypothyroidism lately, and, after hearing her account of the symptoms associated, I'm starting to think that I should get tested too. Out of curiosity, I found this checklist of symptoms, and here are my answers:

I have the following symptoms of hypothyroidism, as detailed by the Merck Manual, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and the Thyroid Foundation of America

__X__ I am gaining weight inappropriately
__X__ I'm unable to lose weight with diet/exercise
____ I am constipated, sometimes severely
__X__ I have hypothermia/low body temperature (I feel cold when others feel hot, I need extra sweaters, etc.)
__X__ I feel fatigued, exhausted
__X__ Feeling run down, sluggish, lethargic
__X__ My hair is coarse and dry, breaking, brittle, falling out
____ My skin is coarse, dry, scaly, and thick
__X__ I have a hoarse or gravely voice
__X__ I have puffiness and swelling around the eyes and face
__X__ I have pains, aches in joints, hands and feet
____ I have developed carpal-tunnel syndrome, or it's getting worse
____ I am having irregular menstrual cycles (longer, or heavier, or more frequent)
____ I am having trouble conceiving a baby
__X__ I feel depressed
__X__ I feel restless
__X__ My moods change easily
__X__ I have feelings of worthlessness
__X__ I have difficulty concentrating
__X__ I have more feelings of sadness
__X__ I seem to be losing interest in normal daily activities
__X__ I'm more forgetful lately

I also have the following additional symptoms, which have been reported more frequently in people with hypothyroidism:

__X__ My hair is falling out
__X__ I can't seem to remember things
____ I have no sex drive
____ I am getting more frequent infections, that last longer
____ I'm snoring more lately
____ I have/may have sleep apnea
__X__ I feel shortness of breath and tightness in the chest
__X__ I feel the need to yawn to get oxygen
__X__ My eyes feel gritty and dry
__X__ My eyes feel sensitive to light
__X__ My eyes get jumpy/tics in eyes, which makes me dizzy/vertigo and have headaches
____ I have strange feelings in neck or throat
____ I have tinnitus (ringing in ears)
__X__ I get recurrent sinus infections
____ I have vertigo
__X__ I feel some lightheadedness
____ I have severe menstrual cramps

Hmm... so that's 26/39. Or 66.6%. I'd say that's a majority. So. Gotta call the doctor and see if I can schedule a blood test and if they cover that (YAY NO INSURANCE! I love it. Ugh.)

Right now, I'm at the tail-end of a horrific migraine, so I'm going to give the cat his fluids, take a bath, and go to bed.