So, it took, what, two hours after joining Wardrobe Refashion before I had my grubby little hands to making something? Must b
e a record.
The Pledge
I, Sarah Elizabeth Cooper, pledge that I shall abstain from the purchase of "new" manufactured items of clothing, for the period of 2 / 4 / 6 months. I pledge that i shall refashion, renovate, recycle pre-loved items for myself with my own hands in fabric, yarn or other medium for the term of my contract. I pledge that I will share the love and post a photo of my refashioned, renovated, recycled, crafted or created item of clothing on the Wardrobe Refashion blog, so that others may share the joy that thy thriftiness brings!
Signed, Sarah Elizabeth Cooper.


Anyway, I had thoughts about trying out stenciling using wax paper (I always read freezer paper, and wanted to see if waxed would do the same. It doesn't) so I was digging around in my "Box 'o Stuff to Use" and found these two lovelies.
This is a plaid men's shirt I had around. First I thought I had chucked it because the sleeves were too small (honestly, that happens...) but I put it on and they were perfect! I considered just taking it out of the scrap bin and reinstating it in the closet when I saw that I had slit the sides to accomodate my, ahem, assets. Oh.
This is a lambswool Gap sweater from Goodwill that was a bit moth-eaten, so I had cut off the sleeves to make legwarmers. Never found a use for the "vest" leftover I guess.
Well, a little music, a few cookies,and viola!
Momma's got a new cardigan! I just cut off the button/buttonhole plackets and sewed them to the center of the wool. Then I set the sleeves.
I say this like it didn't take me a few tries to get the sleeves right... First, I realized that plaid sleeves were of course bigger than the wool sleeve opening. Of course. Easy enough solution: gather the plaid to make little poof sleeves. Just fine, I like the poof. So I set the first one and tried it on. The sleeve sat a bit oddly, but I figured that I shouldn't ask perfection from something cobbled together from bits of discarded clothes... I went to set the second, and, for some reason, the gathering wasn't in the same place as the other. Oh well, I'm not the best at marking. Set that one, tried it on, and, would you believe, it was perfect. Aha! So I must have put the gathers in the wrong place on the wonky sleeve right? I went back to check, and got really confused. Gathers seemed to be in the same place. What is going on here? Looking back at the awesome one, I realized:I had sewed the good one inside out. Which meant: I sewed the sleeves on the wrong sides. Ugh. Well, at least it explained why the sleeve felt stupid; it was on backwards! So, a few seams ripped, and all is well in the world. Sleeves are on, each on its' appropriate side, I used a lock stitch to hold up the cuffs (I love 1/2 length sleeves, not 3/4. The lock stitch means I don't have to mess with rolling them up anymore! Yay!), and I even added a little frippery to the front.
Everyone needs frills in their pockets.
A good day's work, if I do say so myself! Which is good; school starts next week and I have nothing to wear!

