The cats are all well, and I now have my own mini-flock of chickens roaming in the backyard. We have 5 hens, who give us more eggs than we know what to do with (I think there are 5 dozen in the house right now)and are all very well behaved, with a few exceptions (pooping on the porch and scratching up my garlic!)

We had a rooster, Edgar, but he was extremely aggressive and would bite and spur me whenever he got the chance.

Baby Edgar
Honestly, that god old really quickly, when I couldn't even feed them in the coop or collect eggs without fear of attack.
I'm not kidding about the attack part.
I felt that I had suffered enough, and put in enough money in feed to be justified in butchering him for dinner. And so we did. Or should I say, so Lindsay did! She was a wonder woman, doing everything herself (Erin did wring his neck a bit, and we all helped pluck) and then I cooked him up in to some deeelish chicken and dumplings, and 6 quarts of stock.

Mmm, dinner!
Spring has certainly sprung around here, but, unfortunately, it's been a rainy one. I've started a whole bunch of seedlings inside, but it's too wet to move any of them out, or plant things like my onions. I did get half my strawberries and one more blackberry planted before the deluge. So far we have:
Outside-
In addition to all that, I'm trying to buy a house! Hurray! I'm working with a program in Lexington, called REACH that does financial planning, and down payment and closing cost assistance. I have a house that I have a tentative offer on, contingent on REACH's approval, and I adore it. It's a tiny little place in between the last Richmond exit and Lexington.
It's in an older neighborhood, with lots of people with kids, and backs up to a farm. The yard is big enough for chickens and a garden, but small enough for me to manage, and has a big storage shed.

It's 3 bedrooms, so plenty of space for me to spread out in.
The bathroom has a linen closet, which makes me beyond happy.

The kitchen has been redone, and has all new appliances.

The floors, windows, air conditioning, paint, and light fixtures are all new too. All in all, it's a neat little house, that would take zero work to move in to, and would suit my needs perfectly (and light a fire under me to get rid of all the old stuff I don't want!) So, fingers crossed that everything works out alright!
Whew. I think that's enough for now. Really, I'm just avoiding doing my homework :-)
Spring has certainly sprung around here, but, unfortunately, it's been a rainy one. I've started a whole bunch of seedlings inside, but it's too wet to move any of them out, or plant things like my onions. I did get half my strawberries and one more blackberry planted before the deluge. So far we have:
Outside-
- 10 strawberry plants
- 2 Blackberries (one wild, one Ebony)
- 1 Raspberry
- 60 odd bulbs of garlic. Mmm.
- Spinach
- Lavender
- Broccoli
- Lunaria
- Hollyhocks
- Nasturtiums
- Straigh-neck squash
- Bush cucumbers
- Cauliflower
- Habanero and Cayenne peppers
- Patio princess, Roma, and yellow pear tomatoes
In addition to all that, I'm trying to buy a house! Hurray! I'm working with a program in Lexington, called REACH that does financial planning, and down payment and closing cost assistance. I have a house that I have a tentative offer on, contingent on REACH's approval, and I adore it. It's a tiny little place in between the last Richmond exit and Lexington.
It's in an older neighborhood, with lots of people with kids, and backs up to a farm. The yard is big enough for chickens and a garden, but small enough for me to manage, and has a big storage shed.
It's 3 bedrooms, so plenty of space for me to spread out in.
The bathroom has a linen closet, which makes me beyond happy.

The kitchen has been redone, and has all new appliances.

The floors, windows, air conditioning, paint, and light fixtures are all new too. All in all, it's a neat little house, that would take zero work to move in to, and would suit my needs perfectly (and light a fire under me to get rid of all the old stuff I don't want!) So, fingers crossed that everything works out alright!
Whew. I think that's enough for now. Really, I'm just avoiding doing my homework :-)

