Our story begins on Monday,when Lindsay messaged me while I was at work to let me know that one of the Buff Orpington's was no longer of this world. My favorite one, of course. Apparently, she was on one side of the house, and the rest of the chickens on the other, and something ran by and nabbed her. There are huge swaths of feathers across the yard, but no other sign of her :-( So, we started furiously building the run to the coop that we had originally planned on making, but had abandoned when we saw how darn happy they were to be outside. Imagine, if you will, Lindsay and I, building with 1X3's, with power tools plugged in to a multi-plug adapter on an extension cord. In the rain. With lightening. In flip flops. With a beer each. It was hilarious, and we pointed out to ourselves how we were a walking, talking advertisement for everything *NOT* to do with tools. Regardless, we knocked out that run in like an hour, and stopped only when we couldn't find the staple guns. Either of them.
The next morning, I had to take my fat cat to the vet, which was a little nerve-wracking. I stopped on the way home to get more supplies, chicken wire, cement blocks, a staple gun, and came home to bust out the rest of the run before I had to be in class. Like a champ, I chicken-wired until my hands bled (literally.) Of course, the staple gun I bought didn't fit the staples I had, but I immediately found *BOTH* of the missing staple guns (I blame it on the dark, the night before.) Everything was ready to go, and I wanted the girls out and scratching as soon as possible. So, I decided to drag our 4'X8' wood and wire run across the yard. In my flip flops. Needless to say, that was a terrible idea. At one point, I pulled too quickly and stepped backwards too slowly, and literally pulled part of my toenail off.
I stood there, dumbfounded. It wasn't actually that painful (felt like stubbing your toe) but I was gushing blood everywhere, and royally irritated with myself for being so dumb. I think you can tell you're an adult when you stop being confused when terrible things happen, but are instead irritated that you didn't stop yourself. I decided that class obviously wasn't happening, and that I was probably going to have to stop at the doctor's and make sure I didn't do any irreparable damage. But I also wanted to the girls out. So what did I do?
I finished that run, of course. Shouting obscenities. With my neighbor and all of his cop buddies in the driveway next door. I have to say, I felt like a royal bad-ass. Rip my toe off? BIG DEAL. Chickens need a house.
And it's done!
They're going to have to be spoiled even more, as I have to bring treats to *them* now, rather watching them race across the yard at high-speed to find *me*.
Hopefully, this is as predator-proof as I'll need. It's got a 2' skirt of chicken wire, held down with concrete blocks and landscape pins. It is nice that I don't have to get up early to let them out, or worry about shutting them up for the night. I like easy and lazy.
They also better be digging me some awesome garden beds ;-)
In other news, I recently added an Angora bunny and 6 more chicks to my zoo. Boo Boo the bunny is possibly the best thing ever.
For rlz
He loves eating sticks and leaves, getting petted, and chasing chickens and cats.
You think I'm joking.
He's precious, and I want a million more of them!

The three brown ones are Americauna/Black Maran crosses, which should lay olive green eggs. The black ones, which are the most awkward, are Black Copper Marans, and lay dark brown eggs I think. They need more snuggle time, as they are still super-flighty.
There are bulbs and sunflowers coming up, strawberries blooming, and broccoli and squash in the ground. Excited to get everything else in the ground and watch it go!
I also seem to have miscalculated the species of Sebastian.
Unfortunately, I lost the tiniest of my new chicks (there's always one!) The other five are huge and crazy and definitely well into their awkward-tween weeks.The three brown ones are Americauna/Black Maran crosses, which should lay olive green eggs. The black ones, which are the most awkward, are Black Copper Marans, and lay dark brown eggs I think. They need more snuggle time, as they are still super-flighty.
There are bulbs and sunflowers coming up, strawberries blooming, and broccoli and squash in the ground. Excited to get everything else in the ground and watch it go!
