Finally, a project that doesn't take years! I love that kinda stuff :-) Can't wait to wear it! Umm... when it gets cold... in... October. I have wonderful timing.
Also notice that there is still a stain under the left pocket. I totally didn't. Until I was ripping the pocket off. Oh well. It's, erm, "character". I guess anyone who knows me knows I spill stuff all the time. No biggie.
So, HOW DID THIS MAGIC OCCUR, you ask? Should you ever have a hoodie with horribly stained (or just boring) pockets, use your trust seam ripper (or, in my case, my beloved, and recently recovered, stork scissors) and take that sucker OFF.
After removing your pocket, you can cover it with whatever floats your boat. I. Adore. This. Print. And I love ric-rac, so that was easy. What wasn't easy was figuring out how to cut the curve of the top fabric to match the pocket (for some reason, I didn't think to just cover the whole thing, so I was trying to fit the fabric to the ribbing edge.)
I did a few stupid things first, like trying to sew them right sides together and flip them out (would have worked if the edge was straight, but the curve made it impossible.) After cursing and ripping out stitches several times, I gave in, traced the curve on the back of my print, and then just clipped and ironed the curve in. Worked like a charm. I sewed the ric-rac to the pocket base so it wouldn't move (cause I hate pins), then just sewed the print on top, close to the edge.
Then, you fold the print around the pocket to cover the edges. I finished it by quilting it, cause I'm a big grandma, and then zig-zagged the whole big pocket-sammich right back where it came from! FINITO! And happy new hoodie (still with stains)!
